Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Putting It Out There... BeadDreams 2011



Metallic Clay, copper and gold, unbaked cabochons.
I have decided to enter the BeadDeams competition this year, I have never tried to enter a competition, other the FireMountianGems, contest. Of which I only earned a 3rd place and an honorable mention. This was with my bead work and was many years ago. This BeadDreams competition has several categories and I am going to enter pieces in three of them. I have been really inspired by my work with polymer clay and am curious to see how it fairs, or what others think of my work. I have only been working with it for about 6 months but really believe that I can do well, in this competition. All of my work is detail oriented,  completely finished pieces and  they are made extremely well. So, I am going to try it out.


Metallic clays, Skinner blend, mica shift medallion, pre Colombian inspired.
Being curious for a while about my polymer clay work, wondering if others can see what I am trying to achieve with polymer clay. I often see these extremely bright colored pieces, with organic shapes and several patterns going on. Often times there is a "favorite" method of caning like the extruded cane, that gets over used and under worked and seems to be on every web site. Another example would be Mokume Gane in neon colors and ghost imaging, I see a lot of necklaces that feature these methods.


What I am trying to achieve with my polymer clay pieces, is to elevate the look of polymer clay to "Fine Jewelry" not just the characterful, whimsical and trendy looking pieces that is is currently associated with. This is what I want my polymer clay work to become and what I am always striving for.

Jurassic Opal fabrication, my own technique.
As of last week, the level of polymer clay respect has been earned, and the negative reaction it had toward some artists, will now pale in comparison. With the announcement of polymer clay being accepted into Museums, and new areas being created in the museums to house polymer clay collections, will definitely change the minds of many  artists who thought of it as just a craft item! Elevating the importance of polymer clay as an art medium, had been a long time goal of many artists for many year! Congratulations!

So I think this is the perfect time for me to step out and introduce my style of art to the people who know good work. I feel my work will do well because my work is not like other polymer clay work. My creations are not loud and covered with wild patterns, my polymer clay work is sophisticated,  innovative and all are one of a kind. Please don't get me wrong, I love those designs with the bold colors and patterns, it is just not my style.... It makes me feel really good when I come up with my own techniques and am able to apply them successfully to a design. I feel great when I look at my work and I see beautiful settings, lovely stone fabrications, and my inspiration, combined. Well just have to see what others think! =)






In any case it will be fun and an experience waiting to see what happens and who wins. I am not expecting to win, but am expecting to have a lot of fun! Wish me luck and say hello! I will be posting pic's of the pieces I am working on for this event! So check back often.

No comments:

Post a Comment